The Historic Ouaquaga Bridge

The Historic Ouaquaga Bridge

The Ouaquaga Bridge is rare in it's construction. There were only about a couple hundred originally constructed and today there are perhaps only about 18-20 like it still standing today. Most of these other bridges are in other states, mostly in New England. It's construction is so unique, a team from Japan once came here to Ouaquaga in the 1980's just to study it!   

The Ouaquaga Bridge is truly a real historical treasure...right here in Windsor! In fact, in 2003, this historic bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, and there will soon be a Historical Plaque on or near the bridge (off NY 79 between Harpursville and Windsor in Broome County, NY). To read a draft of what it will say on the planned bronze marker, scroll down to the bottom of this page....

The Historic Ouaquaga Bridge

The "Ouaquaga Bridge Historic Site" sign off Route 79...

The Historic Ouaquaga Bridge

This historic bridge was built in 1888 by the Berlin Iron Bridge Company of East Berlin, Connecticut. The bridge carries Mountain Road across the Susquehanna River. These shots are from Mountain Road going over towards Dutchtown Road...

The Historic Ouaquaga Bridge

The Historic Ouaquaga Bridge

A couple shots while crossing the bridge...

The Historic Ouaquaga Bridge

The Historic Ouaquaga Bridge

And on the way back...

The Historic Ouaquaga Bridge

The Historic Ouaquaga Bridge

The Historic Ouaquaga Bridge

 

The following is a draft text of the planned Historical Plaque for the 1888 Quaquaga Bridge:

Ouaquaga Bridge 1888

When this 341 foot long bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003, it was the only multiple span, through lentricular truss bridge in New York still used by vehicular traffic.

Approximately one mile down river was the site of Onaquaga, which was the largest Indian town on the Susquehanna when the American Revolution began. It became a cluster of Oneida and Tuscarora village communities with refugees from many other tribes until it's destruction during our Revolution in 1778.

Just south of the bridge, General James Clinton bivouacked with his force August 14-17th, 1779, for three days while en route to participate in General Sullivan's campaign against the Iroquois. General Clinton had formed up his brigade at the headwater of the Susquehanna River, where Cooperstown now stands, and moved his force on and along the river to join up with General Sullivan.  

The Historic Ouaquaga Bridge

 

Copyright  © Town of Windsor, New York. All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact Us